Step into the mystical world of copal — a sacred resin revered across many cultures for thousands of years. Copal has a rich history of use in spiritual practices, healing ceremonies, and as a form of currency. From the Aztecs to African tribes, copal has been highly valued for its potent energy, master healing properties, and ability to connect us to higher realms. Whether you’re new to copal or work with it regularly, it’s worth diving into copal’s fascinating history, modern-day uses, and profound healing properties.
What is Copal?
Also known as ‘young amber,’ copal is a natural resin that comes from trees in the Burseraceae family and is primarily found in Central and South America, specifically in Mexico, Peru, and Ecuador. The resin is harvested by making cuts in the tree’s bark, allowing the sap to flow out and harden into a resin over time. Copal resin is collected by hand and requires skill and precision to ensure quality. This extra-special resin has been used for its spiritual and medicinal properties for centuries.
Types of Copal
There are three primary types of copal resin — blanco (white), oro (gold), and negro (black), each with its own unique properties and characteristics.
Blanco copal, also known as ‘white copal.’ It is the purest variety of copal and is often used in spiritual practices for its cleansing properties. Blanco copal is a creamy white color with a light, citrusy scent. It’s traditionally used in ceremonies to purify and protect spaces, clear negative energy, and create a connection with the spiritual realm. It is also used for medicinal purposes, as it has both anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Oro copal, also known as ‘gold copal.’ It is characterized by its golden color and warm, resinous scent. It has strong purifying and protective properties and is often used in spiritual practices to honor deities or ancestors, create sacred space, and enhance meditation and visualization.
Negro copal, also known as ‘black copal,’ is characterized by its dark, almost black color and deep, earthy scent. The dark color results from the resin mixing with bits of bark or other plant material during harvesting. While some prefer to remove the material before using the resin, others believe it adds further healing properties to the mix. Negro copal has powerful properties of grounding, protection, and manifestation. It’s been used by indigenous cultures for centuries to communicate with ancestors and to bring forth guidance and higher-realm wisdom.
Five Ways to Work with Copal
Copal can be worked with in so many ways. Here are five easy ways to work with this sacred resin to elevate your mind, body, and spirit.
- Burn copal as incense. Copal can be burned on charcoal discs or in a resin burner to create a fragrant smoke that can be used for purification, protection, and grounding — inhaling the smoke can be deeply healing. The smoke has a profound effect on the energy of a space and is perfect to use during meditation or other spiritual practices and rituals.
- Clear your energy with the ‘Holy Cross.’ Working with an incense burner, light your resin and use the smoke to clear above your head, then bring it down across your shoulders from left to right, down to your feet, and back to your heart. This traditional practice is a fusion of Christian and indigenous beliefs and is still practiced today as a way to honor both spiritual traditions.
- Create a copal infusion or salve. Copal resin can also be infused in water or oil to create a medicinal tincture or salve for topical application. Copal has both anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. It can be used to treat various physical ailments, such as respiratory issues, inflammation, and pain.
- Add copal to your bath. You can add copal resin to a warm bath to create a relaxing and cleansing experience. Copal has a calming and grounding effect on the mind and body and can help alleviate stress and anxiety. The warm water will also help release the fragrance of the resin, providing a soothing and aromatic experience. This method can be particularly beneficial in promoting mental and emotional well-being.
- Wear copal resin as jewelry. Copal resin can be fashioned into beads or pendants and worn as jewelry for its energetic and protective properties. This helps you stay grounded, centered, and protected throughout the day.
Copal is a sacred resin imbued with the wisdom and energy of generations of healers and spiritual practitioners. Its rich history of use in traditional medicine and spiritual practices spans cultures and continents, making it a revered and beloved substance for those seeking healing and enlightenment. Whether you burn it as incense, wear it as jewelry, or add it to a bath, copal offers a multitude of healing and spiritual benefits. As you connect to its potent energies, you may find yourself drawn closer to the Divine and the deep wisdom of higher realms. Allow it to purify your space, enhance your spiritual practice, and elevate your mind, body, and spirit to new heights of transformation and growth.
Are you ready to breathe magic into your life? It’s time to unlock your power and your possibility. Join my Living Magic program to bring magic to your everyday life. Each month, we’ll embark on a journey of experiential sessions that cover ways to practice everyday magic, including crystal wisdom and healing, astrology, and sound healing.
Do you love harnessing the energy of the Moon in all her phases? Join my Astrology & Moon Magic community on Facebook, where we share educational tidbits on working with Moon energy, learn about astrology, and engage in lively, wild conversations with other like-minded people.
Are you curious about the medicine of gemstones and crystals? Join my Gems & Crystal Magic community on Facebook, where we share tips and tools for harnessing the magic of gemstones and crystals, educate you on the properties of the most popular stones available on the planet today, and engage in lively, wild conversations with other like-minded people.
Are you a perfume lover like I am? Do you know the healing magic of the oils that are used to make all of our perfumes? Join my Perfume & Aromatherapy Magic community on Facebook, where you can learn about the properties of certain essences, discover how to work with certain blends to manifest your intentions, and engage in lively, wild conversations with like-minded people.
I absolutely love and encourage all magical feedback from my readers! However, I do not regularly moderate comments on the Sage Goddess blogs. So if you have a specific question or query that you’d like us to answer, please contact us via our Facebook page.