What is Summer Solstice
As the passing days grow noticeably longer, we eagerly anticipate the Summer Solstice – the longest day of the year in the North, and the longest night of the year in the South. In Pagan tradition, this day is known as Litha. The Summer Solstice is a Divine midway point; it is a portal into the third space, and the great divider of time and space. It represents the balance between light and dark, both outside of and within you. Balance is what we all seek, and at the two Solstice points of the year (summer and winter) we are offered access to a doorway in time, one which our ancestors have historically viewed as sacred and holy. It’s not just that the season is changing; in the North, it is all of nature that is surrendering to the fire of light, while in the South, nature yields to the shadows and welcomes back the returning sun.
To practice magic is to do little more than mirror nature in order to work and harmonize with the natural cadences of life. In summer, the drumbeat is deep and strong, pulsing within and through us. The energies of South and Fire bring courage, passion, enthusiasm, fearlessness, confidence, and control. These are the energies that the Solstice brings.
What Summer Solstice energy means to me
I can always feel the Solstice before it comes. I am attuned to its energy, and I feel a shifting, a renewal. A turning of the Great Wheel propelling me forward into a future which holds infinite possibility. It’s a time of great anticipation, marked and honored by our ancestors since time began. To me, the Summer Solstice is a bridge between the first and last halves of the year; it is our wake-up call to get moving. If 2017 isn’t quite turning out the way you intended, this is the time to ask yourself, “What can I do now to change the outcome of this year?” Remember, you are steering your ship. Where are you leading it?
Do not focus too much on the coming darkness of harvest season; instead, focus on the fire and light which we have in the present moment. Be mindful, be focused, and be clear. Summer is the time for celebrating all that will come to fruition during this season of warmth, as the days grow longer and our energy is boosted by the warmth of the sun. The Earth warms to the caress of Grandfather Sun, and all of nature is alive in this moment. The plants, herbs, and flowers are in full bloom, and we see the newborns of spring mature with each passing day.
A Solstice Ritual
I believe the Summer Solstice symbolizes a grand portal of energy, space, and opportunity. This is an opening for you to connect with your deepest sense of Source or God, and ask the big questions about your life. Step out in faith, and imagine what is fully possible for yourself in 2017. Dream an expansive vision for your life which, as the darkness slowly returns, can be harvested come autumn to sustain you through the ever shortening days. Use this powerful portal to let go of fears, doubts, and insecurities.
Summer Solstice celebrates the fullness of life, under the sun’s maximum force, on the longest day of the year. I’m so excited to be sharing my spiritual ritual with you from the beautiful island of Oahu. Please join me on June 20th as I welcome back the return of the solar season. I will record this Summer Solstice ritual for you, so you can relive the magic in your own space and time. RSVP for this ritual here.
Release anger and sadness to the Solstice fires as the full moon energy calls for completion. Here are some simple tips for a powerful Solstice ritual you can do alone or with a group:
- Smudge, and open your circle.
- Anoint yourself with Solstice Perfume, or another ritual blend of summer herbs such as orange, sunflower, cinnamon, clove, cardamom, and angelica root.
- Light your Summer Solstice or favorite yellow or orange candle.
- Work with Solar Plexus Chakra stones such as citrine, honey calcite, or yellow aventurine.
- Visualize yourself crossing a bridge – the land you leave on one side is what has already been. The land you approach is all that awaits you. The bridge is all that is right now.
- Ask yourself: What does your future look like? Who are you taking with you into the months ahead? Who or what are you leaving behind? What new opportunities, experiences, jobs, and connections do you wish to experience?
- Visualize what might come to pass as you gaze into your candle’s flame.
- Ask the Universe to bring your dreams to life, for the Highest Good of all. Claim balance and alignment on this midway holiday.
- Close your ritual and circle with the conclusory affirmation “Amen, Aho, and So it is.”
This is a great moment to divine what lies ahead in the year for you. Read your tarot, scry in your spheres and mirrors, ask of your pendulum, and see what insight comes to you. Set your intentions on your summer altar, and in time, you will see your dreams come to fruition as the sun begins his journey south.